Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Valleys on the Way to Milford Sound


It’s hard for me to picture this before erosion filled in this valley and made it a flat floodplain. I know the geological history and what it theoretically looked like, but it’s so hard to picture things on a geological scale. I think people that can do that must have interesting brains! I used to have a double-major in geophysics, so I’ve always been interested in geology, but just not very good at imagining the time aspect of it…
There are approximately 4,000 places to stop on the drive from Te Anau to Milford, and this is one of them. It’s kind of a must-stop! The scene is crazy-powerful, and it changes throughout the day. I’ve noticed sometimes in the morning it is foggy and hard to see, but it’s still interesting even then. When planning car-trips in New Zealand, it’s best just to add a few extra hours into the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment